After giving the case a scrubbing off and cleaning of as much of the corrosion as I can, I put together one of the composite video modification kits.
Then to mount it to the motherboard, not to difficult. 4 components get removed and then solder wires from the mod kit to the motherboard.
Next, 3 holes in the top case for the RCA jacks.
Install the RCA jacks and solder the required wires and re-assemble.
So, the good, bad and ugly. The aluminum trim has been marked by the corrosion. I could (in theory) polish it out, but it's better than it was. Polishing would remove whats left of the painted on markings. I have seen pictures of some 2600jr's with black trim instead of the aluminum, I assume it has been painted, looked good in the pictures though. The reset switch is not working, the Mylar foil switches are failing. A common fail point on these units. I have found new replacement Mylar switches online, but I was thinking that some nicely mounted micro switches might look and work just fine. This unit isn't going to be a museum piece, it's going to be used, so I wasn't looking for perfection.
But it looks pretty good, compared to what it looked like a few days ago.
I decided instead of replacing the Mylar foil switches with more Mylar foil, to use real momentary contact switches.
The idea came from a post on atariage forums - Here
I ordered a little bag of switches from Ebay - Here
Wiring was pretty easy, 3 wires for 2 switches, just follow the painted conductors on the Mylar and where they attach to the 2600 main board, solder in new replacement wires.
Then on the top half of the case mark and drill out 2 holes for the switches and mount them on to the case.
Be careful not to let the drill 'walk' on the plastic like I did, you'll see my holes aren't quite lined up. I'll need to pop the switches out and spend a little time with a file to straighten things up.
Also, be careful not to overheat the legs of the switches with your soldering iron (that went sideways fast), I have ordered more black switches.
So after putting it all back together, testing shows all working as it should.
So I'll post a few pictures post repair, once the new switch comes and I spend a little time cleaning up my mess, I'll post a couple of 'glamour' shots.
Up and running - VIC 20, C64, C16. Works in progress - Plus/4, C128, Amiga 2000. Looking for - C= Colt/PC compatibles and vintage consumer electronics.